ASN Society News - June 2009
ASN Seeks to Hire a Public Policy Board Chair
Monday, June 29, 2009
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN) has an expanding agenda in the policy arena. This agenda focuses on helping nephrologists provide high-quality care to patients, perform cutting-edge medical research, and train the next generation of nephrologists and other kidney experts.
The Society is currently seeking an ASN Active Member to serve as Chair of the Society's Public Policy Board. Reporting directly to the ASN Council, the public policy board chair works closely with the Society's policy staff (particularly the ASN Director of Policy and Public Affairs) to oversee all aspects of the Society's policy portfolio.
To accomplish this important goal, the Chair of the ASN Public Policy Board will:
- Understand how federal and nonfederal policy affects ASN members in the clinical, research, and educational arenas.
- Establish policy priorities for which the society should advocate.
- Develop an annual strategic plan for accomplishing ASN's policy priorities.
- Develop strategies, tactics, position statements, and other initiatives to accomplish ASN's policy priorities.
- Anticipate changes that will affect nephrology practice, research, and education in the future.
- Ensure that ASN's committees and advisory groups—such as the Society’s Chronic Kidney Disease Advisory Group and Dialysis Advisory Group—advise the public policy board.
- Interact with other renal societies, coalitions related to kidney disease, and relevant national entities to ensure coordinated advocacy efforts.
- Provide regular reports to the ASN leadership on the Society's policy agenda.
- Communicate periodically with Society's membership on policy-related activities.
- Travel (particularly to Washington, DC) for meetings with Congress, federal agencies, and policymakers.
ASN is seeking applications, nominations, and recommendations for this position. The expected effort for this position is approximately 20 percent, and ASN will provide appropriate compensation.
To apply for this position, please email your letter of interest and curriculum vitae to ASN Executive Director Tod Ibrahim at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 24, 2009, at 4:00 p.m. EDT. Please note that the Society can only accept online applications.
For more information about the position or to recommend potential candidates, please contact ASN President Thomas M. Coffman, MD, FASN, who is chairing the Search Committee for the ASN Public Policy Board Chair, at email@example.com.