ASN Society News - July 2008
ASN Seeks a Chief Learning Officer
Thursday, July 21, 2008
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN)—which represents 11,000 clinicians, educators, and researchers dedicated to curing kidney disease—seeks a Chief Learning Officer. Reporting directly to the ASN Executive Director, the Chief Learning Officer will work with the Society’s committees, education directors (who are nephrologists), and staff to:
- Plan, produce, and improve ASN’s educational activities, which currently
- include Renal Week (nearly 14,000 participants), Renal WeekEnds, Annual Board Review Course and Update, the Nephrology Self-Assessment Program, and web-based (or online) learning.
- Oversee the logistical aspects of the Society’s highly successful
- educational programs.
- Ensure that ASN's educational activities (synchronous and asynchronous)
- continue to offer continuing medical education (CME) credits and maintenance of certification (MOC) points.
- Maintain the Society’s status as an accredited CME provider by the
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), which includes interacting with ACCME and the Alliance for Continuing Medical Education.
- Strengthen the firewall between planning and funding educational
- Manage the financial aspects of ASN’s educational activities, which include
- identifying innovative mechanisms for generating revenues and reducing expenses.
- Identify, develop, and launch new educational initiatives by understanding
- the needs of nephrologists.
- Serve as the staff contact for the Society’s education directors and
- educationally focused committees.
- Manage education team of the ASN staff as well as all of the vendors
- the Society uses to ensure the success of its educational activities.
- Maximize technology to improve the quality of the Society's educational
- activities, increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the staff, and improve the financial status of the programs.
- Serve as one of the executive members of the ASN staff.
In addition to having significant experience in the educational arena, the ideal candidate for ASN Chief Learning Officer will have a strong background in the management of not-for-profit associations, knowledge about the medical professional and the expectations of physicians, excellent interpersonal skills, a talent for supervising and mentoring coworkers, superb aptitude in Microsoft Office, excellent writing ability and verbal communication skills, a knack for learning tasks quickly, and an advanced degree.
Interested applicants should email cover letter and resume to ASN at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the Society can only accept online applications for this position.