ASN Society News - November 2008
ASN Seeks to Hire Research Grants Program Director
Monday, November 17, 2008
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN) has recognized the challenges for research funding in the current environment. For fiscal year 2009 (January 1 to December 31, 2009), ASN plans to spend a significant amount of its budget on grants.
As such, the Society is seeking an ASN Active Member to serve as Research Grants Program Director. Reporting directly to the ASN Council, the Director will oversee all aspects of the ASN research grants program and will also chair the ASN Grants Review Committee.
Requirements for the position are previous grant review experience and success as an accomplished renal investigator with a strong track record of funding from external sources including the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Experience serving on the ASN Grant Review Committee is highly desirable.
To ensure that ASN continues to fund high-quality kidney research, the Research Grants Program Director will:
- Monitor, propose, and administer policies and initiatives to improve the
- effectiveness, efficiency, and quality of the ASN grants program.
- Serve as the point of contact for the ASN Grants Coordinator as well as
- represent the Society in this arena to external organizations.
- Identify, develop, and promote positive external relationships by partnering
- with other entities to provide joint research grant funding.
- Develop and ensure compliance with ASN’s grant policies and procedures.
- Chair the ASN Grants Review Committee, which includes nominating
- committee members.
- Oversee the management of the review process for ASN career
- development grants, which includes assigning grants to reviewers, identifying and resolving conflicts of interest between applicants and reviewers, and participating as moderator of the review. This program has been highly successful, as more than 50 percent of the recipients of ASN career development awards have obtained R01 or equivalent grants from NIH.
- Oversee review of the ASN Student Scholar Grants and M. James
- Scherbenske Grants.
- Ensure that ASN’s letters of agreement with other entities are appropriate,
- up-to-date, and followed by ASN and the other entities.
- Review progress reports, financial reports, and other documentation
- submitted by grant recipients.
ASN is seeking applications, nominations, and recommendations for this position. The expected effort for this position is approximately 10 percent, and ASN will provide appropriate compensation.
To apply for this position, please email your letter of interest and curriculum vitae to ASN Executive Director Tod Ibrahim at email@example.com by Friday, December 19, 2008, at 4:00 p.m. EST. Please note that the Society can only accept online applications.
For more information about the position or to recommend potential candidates, please contact ASN Council Liaison Peter Aronson, MD, FASN, who is chairing the Search Committee for the ASN Research Grants Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.