ASN Society News - January 2012
ASN Seeks Chair of the Grants Review Committee
Friday, January 13, 2012
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN) is committed to supporting research that advances kidney care and treatment. This year ASN has added a research fellowship program to its funding efforts.
ASN seeks a member to Chair the ASN Grants Review Committee. The chair will report directly to the ASN Council. The term ends September 30, 2014. Requirements for the position are:
- Previous grant review experience.
- Experience chairing a review committee.
- Success as a renal investigator with a strong track record of funding from external sources, including the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Prior experience serving on the ASN Grants Review Committee is highly desirable but not necessary.
To ensure that ASN continues to fund high-quality kidney research, the Chair of the ASN Grants Review Committee will:
- Monitor, propose, and administer policies and initiatives to improve the effectiveness, efficiency, and quality of the ASN grants program.
- Serve as the point of contact for the ASN Grants Coordinator as well as represent the Society in this arena to external organizations.
- Identify, develop, and promote positive external relationships by partnering with other entities to provide joint research grant funding.
- Develop and ensure compliance with ASN's grant policies and procedures, and applicable external requirements.
- Oversee the management of the review process for the ASN Medical Student Scholar Grants, Nephrology Fellowship Program (new in 2012), Career Development Grants for New Investigators, and Interim Funding Grants for Established Investigators. This responsibility includes assigning grants to reviewers, identifying and resolving conflicts of interest between applicants and reviewers, and participating as moderator of the review.
- Ensure that ASN's letters of agreement with other entities are appropriate, up-to-date, and followed by ASN and the other entities.
- Review progress reports, financial reports, and other documentation submitted by grant recipients.
- Serve as a voting ex officio member on the ASN Workforce Committee.
ASN is seeking applications, nominations, and recommendations for this position. A voluntary position, the Chair of the ASN Grants Review Committee will address the Society's strategic plan and goals as approved by the ASN Council.
To apply for this position, please send an email message of interest to email@example.com with the subject line: Chair of the ASN Grants Review Committee. Attach a copy of your most recent CV or resume and complete or update your financial and other relationships disclosure at https://www.asn-online.org/myasn/disclosure-form.aspx. ASN will acknowledge your application promptly.
ASN will accept applications until Thursday, February 2, 2012, at 4:00 p.m. EST.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-640-4644 with questions or for additional information.