Posted: February 24, 2020
Location: Washington D.C.
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN)—which represents more than 21,000 physicians, researchers, nurses, and other health professionals dedicated to a world without kidney diseases—seeks a fulltime Copy Editor. Reporting to the ASN Media and Communications Manager, the Copy Editor will provide editorial review on a wide variety of materials, including web, social media content, Kidney News Online, In the Loop, Kidney News, Kidney Week materials, and marketing collateral material. Additionally, the Copy Editor will work with the ASN Media and Communications Manager (and the rest of the communications team) to help ensure that ASN produces exceptionally written missives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all work is consistent with the established ASN Style Guide and maintain up-to-date editorial brand guidelines.
- Promote and update editorial policies, standards, and procedures to ensure adherence across ASN departments.
- Proofread text and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors; ensure all content is factually correct, including dates and statistics.
- Check text for style, readability, and adherence to editorial policies.
- Raise queries with authors as needed.
- Accept other duties and responsibilities appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this position and are not to be considered all inclusive.
Professional Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 3–5 years of experience in healthcare/medical/scientific editing. Experience in medical terminology a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint, as well as Adobe Acrobat
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Familiarity with adherence to editorial style guides; superior knowledge of AP editorial style preferred.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and prioritization skills with the ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment, juggling multiple competing deadlines.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Genuine enthusiasm and positive energy.
- Collaborative, can-do approach to problem solving.
- Team player.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Superior written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with colleagues and members.
ASN offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements (with the subject line: Copy Editor) to ASN at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note ASN can only accept online applications for this position.