2016 Innovations in Kidney Education Contest
About the Contest
ASN invites the kidney community to participate in the 2016 ASN Innovations in Kidney Education Contest to develop innovative tools to teach medical students and residents aspects of nephrology, including renal physiology, pathophysiology, or clinical disease.
The Contest Goals
- Develop and share tools to enhance teaching kidney physiology using non-didactic, interactive teaching instruments
- Generate excitement among medical students and residents about the field of nephrology
- Engender interactions between medical students, residents, graduate students, nephrology fellows, post-doc trainees, faculty, practicing nephrologists, and researchers
- Engage learners in ASN activities
- Create novel ideas for additional curricula development for medical and graduate students in the field of nephrology
What is the contest?
There are two parts to the contest:
- Part 1: Idea Submission
Submission of ideas for an innovative teaching tool that will help teach nephrology
- Part 2: Teaching Tool Submission
Development and submission of the new teaching tool
What are "innovative teaching tools?"
Innovative teaching tools may be videos, smartboard talks, games, apps, or other electronic teaching instruments.
Who can enter the contest?
The contest is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia, who are at least 18 years old at the time of entry, and who are students and trainees (undergraduate, graduate, medical, PhD, resident, medical fellow, and post-doc trainees [documentation required]), faculty, practicing nephrologists, and researchers. Teams are encouraged to enter—only one prize will be awarded to the team.
Where do I submit my idea/tool?
Submit ideas for the contest online.
When can I submit my idea/tool?
|Monday, January 11, 2016
||Idea Submission Site Opens
|Thursday, March 10, 2016, 4:00 p.m.
||Idea Submission Site Closes
|Monday, April 11, 2016
||Winning Ideas Notified
|Wednesday, August 10, 2016, 4:00 p.m. EDT
||Teaching Tool Submission Deadline
|Thursday, September 8, 2016
||Notification of Winners
How will submitted ideas/tools be judged?
Ideas will be judged on the following criteria:
Teaching tools will be judged on the following criteria:
- Appeal and Interest
The contest will be governed by the contest official rules and the judges' decisions are final.
What is the prize?
- Part 1: Up to six ideas will be selected. Each winning idea will be awarded $1,000 to support the development of the idea into a teaching tool.
- Part 2: Up to three teaching tools will be selected. Each winning tool developer will be awarded one (1) complimentary registration for entry to and attendance at ASN Kidney Week 2016 Annual Meeting, November 15-20, 2016, in Chicago, IL “Kidney Week 2016” and a prize of $4,550.00, Approximate Retail Value of (ARV) of $5,000.00. Team submission winners will receive ONE (1) prize only.