Loan Mitigation Pilot Program
The ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program is a five-year pilot program aimed to decrease the loan burden of those entering the field of nephrology, while also increasing interest in the specialty. ASN has committed $2,700,000 to reaching those who are considering nephrology as a career.
Year 2 of the program will center on individuals historically underrepresented in medicine. For this program, underrepresented in medicine will be defined as those who self-identify as African American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. Six candidates will be selected, and each will receive $50,000 towards the repayment of eligible student loans over the course of three years.
For Year 2 of the program, a candidate:
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must self-identify as an individual underrepresented in medicine (as defined above).
- Must hold an MD, DO, or equivalent medical degree.
- Must be an Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, or Meds-Peds resident OR have graduated from one of these residencies and is applying to a nephrology fellowship. Residencies must be ACGME-accredited.
- Must be applying to a nephrology or pediatric nephrology fellowship at the time of submitting an ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program application.
- Must provide proof of matching into an accredited nephrology fellowship that will begin in 2023; this will occur after application has been submitted.
- Must have at least $50,000 in eligible student loan debt; promissory notes from lenders will be required if selected into program.
- Can participate in other loan repayment programs; however, candidates are responsible for checking and adhering to the other program's stipulations.
The ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program application will open in Summer 2023.
Please contact ASN with any questions at (202) 640-4660 or firstname.lastname@example.org.