Communities and Publications Specialist
Posted: August 26, 2019
Location: Washington D.C.
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN)-which represents more than 20,000 physicians, researchers, nurses, and other health professionals dedicated to leading the fight against kidney diseases- seeks a full-time Communities and Publications Specialist. Reporting to the Manager, ASN Communities & Analytics, the Communities and Publications Specialist shares responsibility for the success of the Society's Communities and Publications initiatives.
The Specialist will be responsible for contributing to and implementing online community strategies in accordance with the society's strategic plan. S/he will maintain an existing, vibrant online environment for ASN members and work in coordination with other ASN departments in order to engage ASN members, strengthen the society's brand, and build relationships with members in a manner that demonstrates a supportive and responsible dialogue between the society and the communities. The Specialist will be responsible for ensuring active and engaged communities, monitoring online conversations, and participating in those conversations to build brand visibility.
The Communities and Publications Specialist will also be responsible for providing subscription sales support to many types of customers including institutions, individuals and consortia. S/he will provide front-line customer support to publication users ensuring all queries are quickly and accurately addressed. S/he will support the sales lifecycle and will coordinate invoicing and renewal processes for ASN publications subscribers.
Professional Experience and Education:
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Experience working with non-profit medical subspecialty society or experience in related industry helpful.
- Familiarity with the medical field and interacting with physicians and health and science professionals.
- Understanding of a medical subspecialty membership society.
- Minimum technical skill level with an intermediate to advanced level of database and office productivity software knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Time management and self-starter.
- Project management.
- Able to manage multiple activities at the same time with expert attention to detail.
- Can manage and meet deadlines asset and achieve goals.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of peer-reviewed publication process.
- Experience working both independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Contribute to overall team success by identifying challenges and proactively seeking out methods to improve self-performance and efficiency of an operation or task.
- Ability to establish and nurture relationships with members, subscribers, and key business partners.
- Dedication to providing customer service of the highest level.
- Superior customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Highest level of professionalism.
- Self-motivated, confident work style.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong initiative, self-reliant, and results oriented.
- Adaptable to crisis situations, changing procedures, methods, and processes.
- Provide overall administrative support to the ASN communications programs and activities.
- Assist in the maintenance of the membership database by updating addresses, demographics, merging records, and monthly deduplications of records, as well a general database records review and maintenance for accuracy and proper format.
- Handle all routine information requests regarding publications and subscriptions.
- Prepare and process subscription payments and refunds.
- Responsible for opening and responding to messages in the ASN Publications email box.
- Assist in generating regular and ad-hoc subscriptions reports.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of all ASN publications (print and online), general peer review concepts and the goals and missions of the society, in order to provide the most responsive service to the readers and subscribers of highly-ranked publications.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Communications, prepare quarterly reports of subscription activity and online usage/analytics, and develop longer-term projections of subscription trends and reader activity.
- Update and maintain several Excel data files for journal and tabloid subscribers including account numbers, contact information, subscription type, and detailed payment information. Send annual subscription renewal invoices. This includes creating and maintaining invoices and order forms, updating rate information online, communicating the rates to subscription agencies, as well as generating and sending invoices via email or regular mail, and in accordance to a strict annual schedule.
- Process renewals and new subscriber invoices in a timely manner, including preparing batches of check payments and sending them to lockbox. Reconciling lockbox deposit batches upon return from the bank, accurately complete data entry of payment details and update online journal records as appropriate or as print back copies as needed. Process subscriber credit card payments through the membership database to include accurate data entry, and updating online journal records as appropriate, or print back copies requested.
- Respond promptly to all claims for missing and/or back issues, updating weekly spreadsheet of request or contact information, details about the issue(s) requested and method of delivery, and serving as point of contact for warehouse personnel responsible for processing and mailing.
- Provide timely support for member and subscriber requests for online journal access including updating contact information in the membership database as well as updating online account details in the journal management system and appropriate subscriber data files.
- Prepare monthly mail files composed of records from the membership database and the subscriber databases, including JASN, CJASN, Kidney News, advertising, comps, and congressional files. Format and transmit files in accordance with the annual production schedule sent to ASN and with United States Postal Service regulations.
- Work with the subscriptions sales firm to ensure they have accurate information regarding subscriber renewal activity, updated sales fliers, and promotional materials.
- Other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this position and is not to be considered all inclusive.
- Maintain and monitor ASN's online member community policies and guidelines.
- Ensure member compliance with the Communities Code of Conduct.
- Support all behind-the-scenes technical aspects of online communities.
- Promote ASN Communities discussion content in other ASN venues (print and online).
- As needed, work with Community Leaders to ensure they remain active as Community Leaders.
- Report to the Manager, ASN Communities as needed on community activities, concerns, opportunities and enhancements.
- Contribute to and implement Communities strategies in accordance with ASN principles and goals.
- Identify and recruit capable ASN members to serve in volunteer roles within the society and in community specific initiatives.
- Keep up to date on the latest trends and best practices in online member community management and engagement.
- Maintain knowledge base in nephrology and stay current on the latest priorities, issues, and controversies.
ASN offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive fringe benefits package.
Interested applicants should email cover letter, resume and salary requirements (with the subject line: Communities and Publications Specialist) to ASN at email@example.com. Please note the society can only accept online applications for this position.