Policy and Government Affairs Assistant
Posted: August 26, 2019
Location: Washington D.C.
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN)—which represents more than 20,000 physicians, researchers, nurses, and other health professionals dedicated to leading the fight against kidney diseases— seeks a full-time Policy and Government Affairs Assistant. Reporting to the ASN Director of Policy and Government Affairs, the Policy and Government Affairs Assistant will provide administrative and other assistance with many activities within Policy and Government Affairs department, including providing research support, scheduling conference calls and meetings with ASN leadership and committees as well as external stakeholders inside and outside of government, following up with internal and external stakeholders to keep projects on track, and other tasks as assigned. While this role is primarily administrative, it will provide the candidate with exposure to federal research, patient care, and innovation policy and advocacy efforts spanning legislative, regulatory, and executive branch arenas.
The Policy and Government Affairs Assistant will have the following:
Experience and Education:
- Four-year college degree.
- Experience related to public policy desired.
- Experience (1-2 years) within an office environment related to communicating externally, scheduling, and writing.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Proficiency in Adobe products
- Strong written communication and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, time management, and organizational skills.
- Detailed-oriented person with need for minimal supervision.
- Ability to quickly learn various task management platforms such as Doodle Polling and Smartsheets as well as basic webpage management.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with a high level of responsiveness.
- Excellent judgement regarding customer/member service.
- Ability to represent the organization to external stakeholders in a professional manner.
- Self-motivated and able to thrive in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize work, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
- Strong work ethic with an enthusiastic, positive attitude, and highest level of integrity.
- Providing research support for legislative and regulatory issues.
- Scheduling conference calls and meetings with "internal" stakeholders such as ASN leadership and committees.
- Scheduling conference calls and meetings with "external" stakeholders inside and outside of government.
- Following up with internal and external stakeholders to keep projects on track.
- Providing logistical support for meetings, hill days, and other events.
- Producing minutes from meetings and conference calls.
- Helping to maintain the Policy and Government Affairs portion of the ASN website.
- Taking responsibility for other administrative tasks, such as processing invoices and managing trade publication subscriptions.
- Accept other duties and responsibilities appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this position and is not to be considered all inclusive.
ASN offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive fringe benefits package.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements (with the subject line: Policy and Government Affairs Assistant) to ASN at email@example.com.
Please note the society can only accept online applications for this position.