Administrative Assistant, Research, Discovery and Innovation
Posted: November 15, 2019
Location: Washington D.C.
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN)—which represents more than 21,000 physicians, scientists, nurses, and other health professionals dedicated to leading the fight against kidney diseases—seeks a full-time Administrative Assistant to support the Research, Discovery, and Innovation portfolio.
As a strategic priority for the Society, the Research, Discovery and Innovation portfolio currently includes two public-private partnerships with federal agencies. The Kidney Health Initiative catalyzes innovation and the development of safe and effective patient-centered therapies for people living with kidney diseases. KHI implements projects in partnership with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as a diverse and broad set of member organizations and companies, including patient organizations, healthcare professional organizations, pharmaceutical companies, device manufacturers, and biotechnology companies. KidneyX accelerates innovation in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of kidney disease through its partnership with the US Department of Health and Human Services. Through a series of prize competitions, KidneyX provides funding and technical support across the federal government to innovators and entrepreneurial.
Reporting to the Vice President of Research, Discovery and Innovation, the Administrative Assistant provides full-time support through effective organization, communication, IT and data management skills. The primary responsibility of this position is to provide administrative support for a growing team responsible for this ASN portfolio.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supporting the Vice President of Research, Discovery and Innovation with scheduling calls and preparing for meetings;
- Triaging emails sent to KHI or KidneyX inbox;
- Supporting the RDI team with meeting coordination, including scheduling meetings with external committees and other stakeholders, and working with the ASN Operations and Meetings teams on logistics for these meetings. Logistics tasks will include facilitating travel arrangements, reserving conference space, and identifying attendee special needs (e.g., dietary restrictions);
- Developing and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Overseeing annual membership invoicing and scheduling new member orientations for KHI;
- Collecting and compiling applications for RDI workgroups, project proposals, and governing bodies;
- Supporting RDI staff in their coordination of KidneyX Steering Committee and KHI Board of Directors by coordinating meetings and/or drafting meeting minutes when needed;
- Aid with the planning and logistics for KHI, KidneyX, and other RDI-related project activities during ASN's Annual Kidney Week meeting; ands, maintain records, and provide updates to supporters as needed.
- Completing other administrative tasks as assigned
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in related field is required. Knowledge of medical terminology is desirable.
- A minimum of 1 year of paid nonprofit experience is preferred.
- Interest and confidence to interface with senior research and clinical leaders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and project management tools such as Smartsheet.
- Experience with database management. (NetFORUM experience preferred)
- Experience working with government contracts is a plus.
- Willingness to travel approximately 2-3 times per year.
- High energy, positive attitude, able to work collaboratively and take initiative.
- Strong verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and effectively.
- Detail oriented with a willingness to learn.
ASN offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive fringe benefits package.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements with the subject line: RDI Administrative Assistant to ASN at email@example.com. Please note the Society can only accept online applications for this position.