Ben J. Lipps Research Fellowship Program Application
Deadline: December 14, 2016 at 2:00 pm EST
The goal of the Ben J. Lipps Research Fellowship Program is to fund nephrology fellows to conduct original, meritorious research projects. This program will foster the training of fellows, under the direction of a sponsor, who are highly motivated to make contributions to the understanding of kidney biology and disease.
Fellows may submit a proposal that examines any aspect of the entire spectrum of kidney biology and disease. The ASN Foundation for Kidney Research especially encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minorities (as defined by the Association of American Medical Colleges).
To apply for a Research Fellowship, a candidate:
- Must hold an MD, DO, PhD, or the equivalent degree.
- May not have completed more than three years of research training after the completion of the MD or DO degree or equivalent, or eighteen months of postdoctoral research training after the PhD degree (at the time of the activation of the award).
- Cannot have or have had at any time a nephrology-related or basic science faculty position at any academic institution.
- Must complete research under the direction and mentorship of a sponsor.
- Must be a member of ASN at the time of the fellowship application. The sponsor of the candidate must also be an ASN member at the time of the fellowship application.
- Cannot hold another full fellowship award such as another foundation fellowship or grant or a post-doctoral research fellowship from the National Institutes of Health. However, a candidate’s institutions may supplement the support provided by the ASN Foundation.
- Must be working in North or Central America during the fellowship period.
- Must commit a minimum of 75% time to research during the fellowship period.
Funding and Stipulations
The Ben J. Lipps Research Fellowship Program provides each nephrology fellow with $50,000 per year for up to two years, to begin on July 1 of the award year. Funds must be used only for salary support. Funds cannot be used for fringe benefits, project costs, travel expenses, or overhead costs.
Each recipient must submit a progress and financial report by May 1 of the first year. Second year funding is contingent on a satisfactory progress report. A final progress and financial report must be submitted at the end of the second year.
A complete application must contain the following documents:
- Contact information and project title
- Applicant’s Biosketch (using the NIH biosketch format)
- Sponsor’s Biosketch (using the NIH biosketch format)
- Research Plan (using ASN provided template)
- Letter of support from sponsor.
- Letter from institution providing proof that the applicant has permission to submit the application.
- Two additional letters of support (submitted blindly)
Please refer to the application instructions before logging in as the application has changed.
The Ben J. Lipps Research Fellowship Program funds 10 fellows at $50,000 a year for up to two years to conduct original, meritorious research projects including:
- Five Ben J. Lipps Research Fellows, named for Fresenius Medical Care's CEO and Chairman of the Management Board (1999 – 2012)*
- One Sharon Anderson Research Fellow, named by the American Society of Nephrology for ASN's first female president*
- One Joseph A. Carlucci Research Fellow, named by the American Renal Patient Care Foundation, Inc. for the Chairman and CEO of American Renal Associates
- One Jared J. Grantham Research Fellow, named by the PKD Foundation and the American Society of Nephrology for the co-founder of the PKD Foundation and the founding Editor-in-Chief of JASN*
- One Dimitrios G. Oreopoulos Research Fellow, named by Baxter in honor of a physician, researcher, and pioneer in peritoneal dialysis innovation*
- One George B. Rathmann Research Fellow, named by Amgen in honor of its founding CEO*
- One Donald E. Wesson Research Fellow, named by the American Society of Nephrology for a leading clinician, researcher, educator, and mentor*
- One ASN Foundation for Kidney Research Fellow
*will be funded in 2017
The Ben J. Lipps Research Fellowship Program is now fully endowed thanks to the generous support of Fresenius Medical Care, ASN, the American Renal Patient Care Foundation, Inc., Amgen, Baxter, and the PKD Foundation.
Please contact the ASN Foundation for Kidney Research with any questions at 202-640-4660 or firstname.lastname@example.org.