Loan Mitigation Pilot Program
The ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program is a five-year pilot program aimed to decrease the loan burden of those entering the field of nephrology, while also increasing interest in the specialty. ASN has committed $2,700,000 to reaching those who are considering nephrology as a career.
Year 2 of the program will center on individuals historically underrepresented in medicine. For this program, underrepresented in medicine will be defined as those who self-identify as African American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. Six candidates will be selected, and each will receive $50,000 towards the repayment of eligible student loans over the course of three years.
For Year 2 of the program, a candidate:
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must self-identify as an individual underrepresented in medicine (as defined above).
- Must hold an MD, DO, or equivalent medical degree.
- Must be an Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, or Meds-Peds resident OR have graduated from one of these residencies and is applying to a nephrology fellowship. Residencies must be ACGME-accredited.
- Must be applying to a nephrology or pediatric nephrology fellowship at the time of submitting an ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program application.
- Must provide proof of matching into an accredited nephrology fellowship that will begin in 2023; this will occur after application has been submitted.
- Must have at least $50,000 in eligible student loan debt; promissory notes from lenders will be required if selected into program.
- Can participate in other loan repayment programs; however, candidates are responsible for checking and adhering to the other program's stipulations.
An applicant who is uncertain of his/her eligibility should request an advisory opinion from ASN before completing an application. Please email email@example.com.
Application and Document Formatting
The ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program application opens on September 12, 2022 and closes on October 7, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. EDT.
An application cannot be edited after submission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions while completing the application.
A complete application will include the following:
- Personal Information page
- Training Information page
- Application Documents page, which requires the upload of:
- Personal statement - written portion
- Personal statement - video portion
- References page
- Three professional references will be required (name and email address), one of which must be residency Training Program Director
- ASN will contact your references for letters of support
Evaluation Criteria and Process
The ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program Task Force will complete a holistic review of each eligible applicant, taking into account the responses provided in the personal statement, video, and letters of support.
The review will be a dual-phase process:
- Applicants who meet eligibility requirements will undergo first stage of review as described above.
- In late 2022/early 2023, selected candidates will be contacted and asked to provide proof of:
- Matching into an accredited nephrology or pediatric nephrology fellowship program.
- Eligible student loans in the form of a promissory note.
The application and review timeline is as follows:
- Application open: September 12, 2022
- Application close: October 7, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. EDT
- Review: October 2022 - November 2022
- Conditional selection notifications*: December 2022
- Selection confirmation notifications**: Early 2023
* Acceptance conditional on matching into nephrology fellowship program.
** Selection confirmation to be sent after candidate confirms they matched into nephrology or pediatric nephrology fellowship program.
Documents to Download
Please contact ASN with any questions at (202) 640-4660 or email@example.com.