Loan Mitigation Pilot Program
The ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program is a five-year pilot program aimed to decrease the loan burden of those entering the field of nephrology, while also increasing interest in the specialty. ASN has committed $2,700,000 to reaching those who are considering nephrology as a career.
Year 1 of the program will center on individuals historically underrepresented in medicine. For this program, underrepresented in medicine will be defined as those who self-identify as African American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. Six candidates will be selected, and each will receive $50,000 towards the repayment of eligible student loans over the course of three years.
For Year 1 of the program, a candidate:
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must self-identify as an individual underrepresented in medicine (as defined above).
- Must hold an MD, DO, or equivalent medical degree.
- Must be an Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, or Meds-Peds resident OR have graduated from one of these residencies and is applying to a nephrology fellowship. Residencies must be ACGME-accredited.
- Must be applying to a nephrology or pediatric nephrology fellowship at the time of submitting an ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program application.
- Must provide proof of matching into an accredited nephrology fellowship that will begin in 2022; this will occur after application has been submitted.
- Must have at least $50,000 in eligible student loan debt; promissory notes from lenders will be required if selected into program.
- Can participate in other loan repayment programs; however, candidates are responsible for checking and adhering to the other program's stipulations.
An applicant who is uncertain of his/her eligibility should request an advisory opinion from ASN before completing an application. Please email email@example.com.
Application and Document Formatting
The ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program application opens on June 16, 2021 and closes on July 28, 2021.
An application cannot be edited after submission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions while completing the application.
A complete application will include the following:
- Personal Information page
- Training Information page
- Application Documents page, which requires the upload of:
- Personal statement - written portion
- Personal statement - video portion
- References page
- Three professional references will be required (name and email address), one of which must be residency Training Program Director
- ASN will contact your references for letters of support
Evaluation Criteria and Process
The ASN Loan Mitigation Pilot Program Task Force will complete a holistic review of each eligible applicant, taking into account the responses provided in the personal statement, video, and letters of support.
The review will be a dual-phase process:
- Applicants who meet eligibility requirements will undergo first stage of review as described above.
- In late 2021/early 2022, selected candidates will be contacted and asked to provide proof of:
- Matching into an accredited nephrology or pediatric nephrology fellowship program.
- Eligible student loans in the form of a promissory note.
The application and review timeline is as follows:
- Application open: June 16, 2021
- Application close: July 28, 2021
- Review: August 2021 - September 2021
- Conditional selection notifications*: October 2021
- Selection confirmation notifications**: Early 2022
* Acceptance conditional on matching into nephrology fellowship program.
** Selection confirmation to be sent after candidate confirms they matched into nephrology or pediatric nephrology fellowship program.
Documents to Download
Please contact ASN with any questions at (202) 893-0008 or email@example.com.