To ensure that the American Society of Nephrology remains the premier national organization providing postgraduate education in the discipline of nephrology, the Education Committee will provide advice and counsel to the Officers and Council of the ASN. Because educational programs are a benchmark of the distinction of the Society, the quality and effectiveness of these endeavors is of paramount importance.
The charge to the Education Committee includes, but is not limited to:
- Support the ASN Strategic Plan and implement education specific goals.
- Annually review and assess the quality and effectiveness of educational activities developed or sponsored by the Society, including continuing education (CE) programs, graduate medical education (GME) activities, maintenance of certification (MOC) activities, and distance learning offerings.
- Serve as a resource to ASN for the research, analysis, and assessment of new educational endeavors, collaborative programs with other societies, and interactions with industry.
- Anticipate and recommend to Council opportunities for the development of educational programs to serve the needs of the membership of the ASN.
- Assess and maintain ASN compliance with ACCME standards and requirements as well as other medical CE requirements; make recommendations for modification of the ASN CE management processes and policies where appropriate.
- The Education Committee will formally report to Council each year. The committee will meet with the Education Directors at least once per year, and more frequently, if needed.
An officer of the Society will be assigned to serve as Chair for the three years. The officer serves as President-Elect, President and Immediate Past President, to ensure continuity of leadership. In addition, during the year immediately preceding assumption of Chair responsibilities, each Councilor will serve on the Committee to which (s)he will be named Chair. Other committee members will include a Senior Councilor (to serve for 2-3 years) and three members of the ASN from outside of Council who have recognized expertise and experience in postgraduate education.