Posted: October 22, 2020
Location: Washington D.C.
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN)—which represents more than 21,000 physicians, researchers, nurses, and other health professionals dedicated to leading the fight against kidney diseases—seeks a full-time Editorial Associate. The Editorial Associate is responsible for supporting the editorial processes for ASN's three peer-reviewed medical journals: Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (JASN), Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (CJASN), and Kidney360, as well as the society's newsmagazine (ASN Kidney News). Reporting to the Executive Editor for JASN, CJASN, and Kidney360, this individual will support the three managing editors, editorial teams, and the rest of the publishing staff to ensure a standard of operation that will maintain the exemplary position of ASN publications in the field of nephrology.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain superb professional communication and exceptional customer service to editors, authors, reviewers, vendors, and ASN staff.
- Work closely with the Managing Editors and ASN Executive Editor to develop a working knowledge of editorial processes.
- Learn and utilize the peer review management systems in support of the Managing Editors' review processes for all newly submitted manuscripts.
- Serve as primary back-up in the peer review management systems, when needed.
- Assist with processes for article illustrations, podcasts, visual abstracts, social media, and other innovations of interest to the editorial teams, and ASN publications program.
- Update elements of the journal websites, such as Editor's Choice and Image Carousel.
- Attend meetings as required: Council of Science Editors (CSE) and/or International Society of Managing & Technical Editors (ISMTE), vendor meetings (HighWire, ScholarOne, Sheridan, etc.), and share advances in peer review and journal publication policies with colleagues.
- Participate in ASN staff meeting calls and in-person meetings as required.
- Undertake additional projects and publishing ventures as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Two to three years of scholarly publishing experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Highly organized, analytical, and detail oriented.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Adobe programs required.
- Experience with manuscript submission systems (ScholarOne and eJournal Press) preferred.
- Advanced skill with various social media platforms in a professional setting preferred.
- Flexibility to work both independently and collaboratively to prioritize tasks and meet multiple deadlines.
- Strong awareness of the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
- Active interest in new developments in scientific publishing and their application to the ASN publications program.
- Willingness to actively collaborate with ASN's Publications Team.
- Occasional travel and weekend work may be required.
Due to the pandemic, ASN travel is canceled and meetings are virtual through at least the first quarter of 2021.
ASN offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive fringe benefits package.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements (with the subject line: Editorial Associate) to ASN at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the society can only accept online applications for this position.