Posted: August 16, 2019
Location: Washington, D.C.
Since 1966, the American Society of Nephrology (ASN) has been leading the fight to prevent, treat, and cure kidney diseases throughout the world by educating health professionals and scientists, advancing research and innovation, communicating new knowledge, and advocating for the highest quality care for patients. ASN has more than 20,000 members representing 131 countries.
Reporting to the ASN Media and Communications Manager, the Communications Associate will provide support for many activities within ASN Communications, including implementing social media and other communications strategies and helping to measure the impact of these efforts, editing print and electronic material, and providing organizational support for a cohesive communications across multiple content areas, including: peer review publications, ASN Kidney Week – the largest scientific meeting of kidney health professionals, news publications, the society's website, podcasts, and Twitter chats.
DESCRIPTION: A curious, forward-thinking, and conscientious professional to assist in the planning, development, and implementation of cross-communications content promotion. Strong social media acumen is a must, encompassing social media strategy, content development, and deployment.
Day-to-Day Responsibilities Include:
- Write and edit press releases.
- Develop social media strategy for ASN core properties spanning Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Track digital footprint and generate reports to measure messaging effectiveness, digital presence, and activity planning.
- Scan news daily for articles and topics of interest to ASN members and constituents.
- Develop content for daily In The Loop daily e-news.
- Coordinate, produce, and oversee monthly Twitter chats and podcasts.
- Establish and maintain editorial and content calendar.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
- Excellent judgment regarding social media content for a medical specialty societies.
- Self-motivated and able to thrive in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize work, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
- Strong work ethic with an enthusiastic, positive attitude, and the highest level of integrity.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills.
- Understanding of a print and online publishing culture driven by deadlines and clear consistent messaging.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google products including Analytics and Docs, Smartsheet, Cision, and Hootsuite.
- Experience with audio and video production on social media platforms.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, and English or related field.
- Three to five years of communications/social media experience; healthcare association experience.
- Familiarity and understanding of a style guide for an organization.
- Salary requirements must be stated for consideration.
Some travel required.
ASN offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive fringe benefits package.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements (with the subject line: Communication Associate) to ASN at email@example.com. Please note the society can only accept online applications for this position.