Director of Grants and Contracts
Posted: February 21, 2020
Location: Washington D.C.
The Director of Grants will oversee proposal and management processes, ensuring excellence in proposal and budget development, efficiency and thoroughness in grant preparation, compliance with regulatory standards, and a strong tracking and reporting system.
ASN is a rapidly growing organization. The successful candidate will develop and launch a robust portfolio of federal, private grants and contracts, as well as subcontracts, including the application and post-award structure that will help advance major initiatives and help build key alliances.
This position is a fit for an entrepreneurial leader with knowledge of the medical and scientific funding landscape, a proven ability to build strong, strategic relationships with funding organizations, and an interest in creating a successful and strategically focused grants and contracts program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and carry out ASN's grant-seeking strategy in alignment with the strategic plan and priorities set by the Executive Vice President and ASN Council.
- Provide vision and a strategic approach that advances grant and contract development efforts in key strategic areas.
- Create and launch a robust portfolio infrastructure that will build excellence and reflect efficiency at all levels.
Research and Analysis
- Identify potential federal, private grant, and contract funding prospects.
- Research and analyze funding capacity and project match of these prospects.
- Work with internal staff and volunteer leaders to carefully evaluate likelihood of funding, feasibility of applying, and capability of supporting programs if funded.
- Actively engage in establishing and maintaining long-term relationships with potential funders, prioritizing those relationships based on ASN's goals and internal strengths and capabilities.
- Serve as a liaison to funding organizations on behalf of ASN, which will require maintaining a comprehensive knowledge of current issues affecting nephrology.
- Meet regularly with senior leadership of ASN department to understand major priorities and goals.
- Oversee submission, administration and post-award activities for all funding, and supervise staff.
- Ensure compliance with all post-award requirements and oversee implementation of appropriate fund management and tracking software.
- Provide timely and accurate information on funding opportunities, including assessing feasibility of all opportunities.
- Establish a supportable resource center that will help ASN members identify potential funders, write proposals, and secure grants from external sources.
- Oversee adherence to budgets, policies, and internal and external regulations.
- Ensure invoices, including subcontracts, are within the budgeted award and scope of work.
- Administer financial analysis and management, and reconciliation; monitor funds at risk of over- or under-spending.
- Work independently to develop annual budgets for each funding source within the portfolio.
- Review and approve all financial documents requiring fiscal approval by leadership.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of federal regulations – preference for Certified Research Administrator (CRA) or Certified Financial Research Administrator (CFRA).
- Federal and non-federal grant writing experience required, and proven success managing the post-award process, encompassing regulatory, financial and reporting oversight.
- Ability to assimilate and analyze complex data, exercise sound judgement and discretion, and understand comprehensive financial systems.
- Strong excel and analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively.
- Experience with scientific and medical funding preferable.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
ASN offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive fringe benefits package.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements (with the subject line: Director of Grants) to ASN at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the society can only accept online applications for this position.