ASN Society News - March 2, 2022
Reconsidering Every Aspect of the Future of Nephrology
On Tuesday, March 1, 2022, ASN leadership sent a joint letter in response to:
- The American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)'s invitation on Monday, January 10, 2022 for ASN to share its "views on the future of the procedural requirements for ABIM Initial Certification in Nephrology."
- The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)'s invitation on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 for ASN to provide its "comments related to specific topics that should be addressed as the revised requirements are developed" for internal medicine subspecialties, including nephrology.
ASN considers these invitations from ABIM and ACGME as exciting opportunities to reconsider every aspect of the future of nephrology. The future of training, certification, and practice in nephrology are interconnected, and ASN believes a joint response to both the invitations from ABIM and ACGME is appropriate.
This joint response to ABIM and ACGME:
- Explains ASN's concerns about the timing of these invitations.
- Describes ASN's unique place in the kidney community.
- Recommends reconsidering every aspect of the future of nephrology.
- Commits ASN to facilitating this effort in 2022.