Kidney News: Information for Authors
Most articles in ASN Kidney News are regular features or invited by the Editorial Board. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for submission.
Articles in Kidney News are typically written in a colloquial style. They are typically shorter compared to a journal submission and may include author commentary and opinion on the topic.
- Author byline (full name, no titles or degrees) and author information (see Affiliations)
- Article text, divided by subheadings as needed
- Disclosure statement (see Disclosures)
- Figures and tables with appropriate descriptive titles and legends (see Graphics)
- References (see References)
300-500 words, unless otherwise specified. Titles, subheadings, disclosures, and references are not included in this count.
Authors are encouraged to include up to 10 references. Self-citations are acceptable within reason.
A numbered reference list should be provided at the end of the article when applicable. In-text citations should be included parenthetically.
Visual abstracts, figures, tables, and other graphics are welcome.
- Fonts must be at least 9 points.
- Graphics must be legible. Light colored copy on a light background will not print well.
- Acceptable formats:
- JPG, PNG, and PDF files. A PPT file may be requested for copyediting purposes.
- At least 6.5 inches wide and high-res at 300 dpi (dots per inch)
- If providing a visual abstract, please include your name and affiliation, either:
- embedded in the VA, or
- separately, in which case, we will include it with the VA upon publication.
- Kidney News can provide support in creating a VA upon request.
Upon submission, authors must supply a brief disclosure statement noting potential conflicts of interest related to article content, including outside honoraria or consultancy arrangements.
If none are disclosed, the following statement will be added during production: "The author reports no conflicts of interest."
Please include affiliations (name, degrees, titles, and place of employment) for all authors of the article.
Simple author information example:
Kenar Jhaveri, MD, FASN, is a professor of medicine and associate chief in the Division of Kidney Diseases and Hypertension, Northwell Health, Hofstra, NY.
Review and Proofs
Article submissions will be informally reviewed by Kidney News staff and/or Editorial Board and may require revisions. Articles will be copyedited according to Kidney News style and formatted during production. Authors will receive a formatted proof to review prior to publication.
Upon publication of the article, authors transfer and assign copyright to ASN. Copyright forms will be sent to authors as publication nears.
To reuse a figure published in your Kidney News article, please email email@example.com.