ASN's Mission

ASN leads the fight to prevent, treat, and cure kidney diseases throughout the world by educating health professionals and scientists, advancing research and innovation, communicating new knowledge, and advocating for the highest quality care for patients.

learn more

Contact ASN

1401 H St, NW, Ste 900, Washington, DC 20005

email@asn-online.org

202-640-4660

The Latest on Twitter

Kidney Week

Abstract: PO1369

Association Between Different Payment Models, Workload, and Job Satisfaction of Nephrologists in Lebanon and Jordan

Session Information

Category: Educational Research

  • 800 Educational Research

Authors

  • Aoun, Mabel, Saint-Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon
  • Breiteh, Nour, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
  • Kassak, Kassem M., American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Background

The main challenges that nephrologists are facing worldwide are lower income, dissatisfactory payment models, long work hours and burnout. This study aimed to identify factors associated with nephrologists' satisfaction in Lebanon and Jordan.

Methods

An online survey was sent to all 250 Lebanese and Jordanian nephrologists, including data on demographics, education, academic activities, job satisfaction, burnout, workload and reimbursement.

Results

A total of 59 nephrologists responded. Mean age was 46.9 ±12.5 years, 39% women. Respondents reported low rates of satisfaction in job opportunities (20%), income (25%) and administrative support (32%). On the other hand, 68% reported that nephrology is stressful. High satisfaction rates were found in relationship with patients (78%) and colleagues (73%). Income was significantly higher among males than females (p < 0.001). Satisfaction towards income was significantly lower in females, mean score difference 0.71 ± 0.30 (95%CI: 0.10,1.32; p=0.024). A greater proportion of male over female practitioners wanted to follow above the 40-dialysis-patient regulation (p<0.001) and preferred pay-for-performance over fee for service. Satisfaction with income and work-life balance was positively correlated with age and young nephrologists had significantly lower satisfaction with job opportunities (11%). Driving over 1 hour daily to work was significantly associated with dissatisfaction in work-life balance (p=0.029), stress and burnout (p=0.016). Using regression analysis, longer delay in payment predicted worse work-life balance among Lebanese nephrologists (p=0.04). Compared to male practitioners, female practitioners spent more time on teaching (p < 0.001), and more female had academic rank and publications (p < 0.001). Gender discrimination was perceived significantly among women.

Conclusion

Unfair and delayed reimbursement is associated with dissatisfaction among the surveyed nephrologists. Gender differences are very significant with lower income and satisfaction rates among women. Similarly, it seems that the younger generation perceives low job potentials. Decision makers need urgently to empower women, address payment delays conduct market analysis and accordingly regulate nephrologists' entry to avoid oversupply or unemployment.