ASN's Mission

ASN leads the fight to prevent, treat, and cure kidney diseases throughout the world by educating health professionals and scientists, advancing research and innovation, communicating new knowledge, and advocating for the highest quality care for patients.

learn more

Contact ASN

1401 H St, NW, Ste 900, Washington, DC 20005

email@asn-online.org

202-640-4660

The Latest on Twitter

Kidney Week

Abstract: PO1391

Glomerular Disease Education Experience Across Nephrology Fellowship Programs

Session Information

Category: Educational Research

  • 800 Educational Research

Authors

  • Norouzi, Sayna, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, United States
  • Seethapathy, Harish Shanthanu, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
  • Poyan-Mehr, Ali, Kaiser Permanente, San Franciso, California, United States
Background

Glomerular disease (GN) education is an important, albeit a challenging component of nephrology fellowship training. We hypothesized that trainee experience varies widely across programs, leading to differences in self-reported competency levels in the diagnosis and managing of GN.

Methods

The Glomerular Disease Study & Trial Consortium (GlomCon) conducted an anonymous online survey to evaluate the educational experience of nephrology trainees. We used multiple-choice questions to obtain data about a) curriculum-based education, b) dedicated specialty clinic, and c) exposure to pathology. We leveraged a visual analogue scale of 1-100 (higher number indicating a higher comfort level) to assess self-reported levels of clinical competency. The survey was disseminated via email, the GlomCon website, and Twitter.

Results

There were 107 responses across all years of fellowship training – first-year (25%), second-year (34%), third-year (22%), and fourth-year (19%). A total of 44% reported no GN clinic at their institutions. The presence of an onsite nephropathologist was reported by 63% of responders and 37% reported no onsite nephropathologist or limited exposure. In a visual analogue, the mean competency for GN diagnosis and treatment were 59±26 and 52±25, respectively.
Trainees with no onsite nephropathologist and those with limited exposure scored significantly lower in diagnosing GN as compared to those with an onsite nephropathologist (51±25 vs. 64±26, p<0.05). Trainees with more exposure to GN specialty clinic had a higher comfort level in treating GN (Fig). Figure demonstrates frequency of trainees in each group with a comfort level above the overall median score (51).

Conclusion

Trainees report a wide variation in GN education across fellowship programs. A lack of exposure to onsite nephropathologist and a dedicated GN curriculum were associated with lower scores in self-reported clinical competency in caring for patients with glomerular disease.