ASN's Mission

ASN leads the fight to prevent, treat, and cure kidney diseases throughout the world by educating health professionals and scientists, advancing research and innovation, communicating new knowledge, and advocating for the highest quality care for patients.

learn more

Contact ASN

1401 H St, NW, Ste 900, Washington, DC 20005

email@asn-online.org

202-640-4660

The Latest on Twitter

Kidney Week

Abstract: PO0424

The Prevalence of CKD Among First-Degree Relatives of Saudi Hemodialysis Patients and Associated Factors

Session Information

Category: CKD (Non-Dialysis)

  • 2101 CKD (Non-Dialysis): Epidemiology, Risk Factors, and Prevention

Authors

  • Mousa, Dujanah Hassan, Diaverum Renal Services Group, Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
  • Alharbi, Ali, Diaverum Renal Services Group, Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
  • Alhomrany, Mohammed A., Diaverum Renal Services Group, Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
  • Helal, Imed, Diaverum Renal Services Group, Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
  • Alhejaili, Fayez F., Diaverum Renal Services Group, Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Group or Team Name

  • Diaverum Saudi Arabia
Background

In Saudi Arabia, there are currently over 20,000 patients on dialysis and 9810 patients followed up for functioning renal transplantation. The combined prevalence of renal replacement therapy (stage 5 CKD) in Saudi Arabia is estimated to 1294.3 PMP. There are no local data or registry about stages 1 to 4 CKD in the Kingdom. Objective: To assess the prevalence of CKD among first degree relatives of Saudi hemodialysis patients and evaluate the associated characteristics

Methods

1st degree relatives of all hemodialysis patents in Diaverum clinics in Saudi Arabia were screened for CKD. Demographic data were collected as well as history of hypertension or diabetes mellitus. Serum creatinine, urinalysis and a single Blood pressure reading were measured. eGFR was calculated using EPI formula. For the index cases, the cause of CKD, age and gender were recorded. The prevalence rates of CKD stages among relatives were calculated and the association between different variables and CKD stages assessed

Results

Out of 4500 dialysis patients, 20258 1st degree relatives were approached of whom 5177 responded. The cause of CKD among the index cases was DM in 52.5% followed by hypertension (20.6%).
The eGFR was < 90 mls /min in 39.6% and < 60 mls/min in 5.8% of the screened cases. Proteinuria was present in 8%, making the combined prevalence of CKD of 13.8%.
In the screened group, the prevalences of glycosuria, hematuria and proteinuria were 9.5%, 17.9% and 26.5% respectively and systolic hypertension (>130 mmHg) was observed in 28.1% and diastolic hypertension in 8.6%. Screened relatives in stages 0-1 were significantly younger than those in stages 2-5 (31.3 ±12.8 versus 40.9± 15 years (p=0.0001).
The relationship of the screened persons to the index patients among those in stages 2-5 were offspring (35.8%), sibling (41.6%) and parent (50.0%) (p=0.0005).
The prevalences of the primary renal diseases in the index cases did not differ between screened relatives in CKD stages 0-1 and those in stage 2-5.

Conclusion

The overall combined prevalence of CKD was 13.8% and is highest in the Southern region of Saudi Arabia. The presence of CKD in the screened relatives was not associated with identifiable cause of CKD in the index cases or use of analgesics. Many relatives were discovered to have undiagnosed hypertension and undiagnosed diabetes.

Funding

  • Private Foundation Support