ASN's Mission

ASN leads the fight to prevent, treat, and cure kidney diseases throughout the world by educating health professionals and scientists, advancing research and innovation, communicating new knowledge, and advocating for the highest quality care for patients.

learn more

Contact ASN

1401 H St, NW, Ste 900, Washington, DC 20005

email@asn-online.org

202-640-4660

The Latest on Twitter

Kidney Week

Abstract: PO1254

Overweight and Obesity Predict Kidney Growth in Children and Young Adults with ADPKD

Session Information

Category: Genetic Diseases of the Kidneys

  • 1001 Genetic Diseases of the Kidneys: Cystic

Authors

  • Steele, Cortney, University of Colorado - Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado, United States
  • You, Zhiying, University of Colorado - Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado, United States
  • Farmer-Bailey, Heather, University of Colorado - Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado, United States
  • Gitomer, Berenice Y., University of Colorado - Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado, United States
  • Chonchol, Michel, University of Colorado - Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado, United States
  • Nowak, Kristen L., University of Colorado - Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado, United States
Background

We have previously reported that overweight and obesity are independently associated with more rapid progression in adults with early-stage autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD). We now evaluated whether overweight and obesity are also associated with faster kidney growth in children and young adults with ADPKD.

Methods

54 non-diabetic children and young adults (6-25 years of age) with ADPKD and estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) >80 ml/min/1.73m2 who participated in a randomized controlled trial on curcumin supplementation were categorized based on BMI (if ≥18 years; n=27) or BMI percentile for age, sex, and height (if <18 years of age; n=27) as normal weight (n=40 [74%]) or overweight/obese (n=14 [26%]). The longitudinal (1-yr) association of overweight/obesity with change in height-corrected total kidney volume (htTKV) by magnetic resonance imaging was evaluated using multinomial logistic regression models.

Results

Mean+s.d. age was 18±5 years, annual % change in htTKV was 6.1±9.0%, and eGFR (full-age-spectrum equation) was 112±18 ml/min/1.73m2. The annual % change htTKV was 5.5±9.1% in the normal weight participants and 7.9±8.6% in overweight/obese participants. After adjustment for demographics, randomization group, SBP, and glucose, overweight/obesity was associated with a nearly significant increased odds of annual % change htTKV ≥7% compared to <5% (Odds ratio: 5.23 [95% confidence interval: 0.99, 27.75]). This association was attenuated slightly after further adjustment for baseline htTKV and eGFR (5.58 [0.89, 34.96]).

Conclusion

Consistent with data in adults, our results suggest that overweight and obesity are associated with faster htTKV growth in children and young adults with ADPKD, although power is limited in this small sample size. These results highlight the importance of children with ADPKD maintaining a normal body mass index.

Funding

  • NIDDK Support